Monday, February 20, 2012

How long will a VW New Beetle diesel engine last?

I've never owned a vehicle with a diesel engine. Hence, I know nothing about maintenance, repair or longevity. But I do know some get great fuel mileage. I'm contemplating as my work week consists of 320 mile plus. Another question would be, does the maintenance and repair costs often outweigh the fuel savings?How long will a VW New Beetle diesel engine last?I have owned four VW diesels, none with less than 450,000 kms on them by the time I was done with them. None of the engines failed. I have also owned GM, Chrysler and Ford products over the last 20 years, and the basic maintenance on a VW is no more than on any other car. My current VW is a 2000 TDI with 473,000 km. I put 1,000 km on per week and get 45mpg constatly(hwy driving). This car replaced a 1996 Pontiac GP. The fuel savings from the GP to the VW covered over half of the monthly payments. The increases in performance and quality from a 1980 Rabbit diesel, to a 1989 Jetta TDI to a 2000 TDI have been excellent. Can't wait to try out a 2011 model.

No comments:

Post a Comment